Merry L. Nasser
Mediation and Collaborative Divorce
Recently named Family Lawyer of the Year for the Springfield area by Best Lawyers in America, Merry has practiced divorce and family law for over forty years. Her practice now is devoted to collaborative divorce and mediation, which, when successful, mitigate the emotional and financial hardships of divorce on the parties and their children.
Based in part on her lengthy experience in litigating contested divorces, Merry helps clients arrive at a resolution that lawyers otherwise would likely achieve only after costly and adversarial negotiations and court proceedings. Because of her familiarity with, and understanding of, how Family Court judges are likely to rule on the issues that arise in divorces and other family law matters (finances, property, custody, time with children, and many others), she can help parties move beyond differences that may seem insurmountable, to a fair and equitable resolution that feels, and is, fair to them, and that, very importantly, serves the best interests of their children.
Her commitment to children has been the foundation of her practice. She was one of the founders of the Parenting Education Program in Hampshire County which later became a mandatory program statewide for all divorcing parents. Merry’s efforts align with the goal of the program, which is to help parents be the best parents that they can be while navigating the challenges present during this most difficult time in their lives. Merry is committed to helping parties stabilize and maintain their co-parenting relationships post-divorce.
Consultation and representation in family law matters
Merry continues to consult with divorce clients who are working through their divorce in a mediation process with another mediator, or are planning to represent themselves in a divorce or other family law matter. She also negotiates pre-marital and post-marital agreements.
- Selected as Family Lawyer of the Year for the Springfield, Massachusetts area by Best Lawyers in America, 2020, 2021
- Selected as a Best Lawyer in Family Law by U.S. News & World Report, 2008-present
- Top 50 Women Lawyers in Massachusetts, Super Lawyers, 2016
- Received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer review rating (AV-Preeminent), 2014-present
- Super Lawyer, Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Northampton, MA
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Women of Justice Award, 2009
- Reproductive Freedom Award, 2007
- Recipient, Massachusetts Bar Association Community Service Award, 2000
- Adjunct Professor of Law: Western New England College, School of Law, 1981-1986
- Tapestry Health Systems, Inc., 1991-2020
- Parents & Children in Transition, 1992-present
- Member, Board of Directors: Necessities, Necessidades, 1983-1985
- Member, Child Sexual Abuse Task Force, 1988-2000
- Co-Chairperson, Parent Education in Hampshire County Bar Association
- Member, Guardian Ad Litem Task Force, 2000-2004
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- Boston University, J.D.